Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Home Sweet Home

After being at site for a little over two months, I finally feel like my home is close to what it will be for the next two years. While two months may seem like a long time to get things in order, I had set the date of December 20th to be where I am now. I am quite pleased. There are one or two things I still need to get before I can call it done. I know Peace Corps is suppose to be an isolating experience, but I would still like to have more than two chairs. I’m pretty posh these days…

People have asked me what my place is like and I have avoided answering because I am confident what you imagine is much worse than reality. If you want to think I am living is a mud hut, that is fine and you should continue thinking that. But if you really think I live in a mud hut, you should probably send me a care package due to my harsh living conditions. In reality, I truly cannot complain about my living situation. I have two nice rooms, a shint bet that gets the job done, regular electricity and as much water as a girl can dream of. While luxuries like a toilet or sink (oh my god, I would kill for a sink) would be nice, I feel pretty lucky. Now that I have a fancy new camera, here are a bunch of picture of where I spent most of my time.
The exterior of my compound. There are about 8 other people living here in various rooms.


 The very popular shint bet. Again, shared with 8 other people. Awesome.

My front door. None of the plants shown are mine. But eventually, I will start growing amazing things (like cilantro!!!)


As you enter. I have a bunch of maps on the wall. A world map, Africa map and Ethiopia map. By the end of two years, I'm going to know me some geography!


My sitting area where I spent most of my time. There is only room for two people to sit. Luckily (or sadly) this is rarely a problem. A bench is on the way for more seating! Perhaps I should have emptied my trash prior to this picture.


My "kitchen".  I have a propane stove so it is actually pretty easy to cook here. 

 The red container is for untreated water. The white is filtered drinking water (not a good idea to confuse them) Above, on my fancy shelves, are fruits, veggies and spices (I'm alls growns up). My favorite part about the shelves is that the walls are not flat so they tilt downwards and are by no means flush with the wall. The likelihood they last two years is slim, but for now, I love them.

Towards my second room; Go Ducks! Always have to represent!


Where the magic happens (and by magic, I mean sleeping and watching The West Wing)

Where I get my pretty on


Never know when an impromptu game of Pin-the-Tail-On-the-Donkey will break out. But I am always prepared.


All the cards you fine people have sent and tons of photos. I think I should add some newspaper clippings with random things circled just to complete the stalker wall.


 Finally, my world map. My finger is on Asella. Turns out I am really far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment