Friday, April 4, 2014

Janet Comes to Africa


A while back, my mom and dad came to Ethiopia for five days and were able to catch a glimpse of the life I have been living for the last two years. I had a great time showing them around and introducing them to the people I call family now. In keeping with the theme of other people writing this blog for me, I asked my mom to write a recap of her time in Ethiopia. The italics and photos are my additions, which explains their cheeky tone. Enjoy!

Why couldn't the Peace Corps have sent my daughter to Belize? I've been there and loved it. No, Laura had to request Africa and was assigned to Ethiopia, lucky me. Well, it turns out, I was lucky. I got to go to Asella, Ethiopia and visit her. I got to see how she lives, meet her friends, eat the food she eats and yes, even use a shint bet.

I was very apprehensive about going on this trip. I knew that Laura wanted me to visit and I didn't want to disappoint her, but couldn't we meet someplace in the middle, with a toilet?? I've never been on a trip where I couldn't understand the language, read a sign, or even recognize and pronounce the food I was eating. After 19 hours of traveling, Norm and I landed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  Even before the plane landed I was in tears. I was so close to seeing Laura and couldn't believe I was going to be able to hug her (top 5 hugs of my life). After going through customs, we had to get our luggage and as I looked through the window, there was my beautiful daughter holding a welcome sign.  Hugging her, laughing with her and just hanging with her was the highlight of the trip.  

After a day in Addis and a wonderful night at the Safari Lodge, we headed for Asella. While in Asella, I stayed with Laura while Norm stayed in a hotel nearby. She and I stayed up late into the night, talking and giggling. I am very proud to say that I successfully used the shint bet, several times. Cross that off my bucket list. 

Even though Laura told me the population of Asella was 100,000, it was much bigger than I had pictured. The main street was paved and filled with small shops, where you could buy just about anything you needed (not anything that is cheese or bacon). These shops were nothing like a modern market in America. If you needed vegetables, you went to one area. If you needed meat, you walked a few streets over for that. If you needed kitchenware, you found another street where that was located. When I first arrived in Asella, I became emotional. I thought, “My daughter lives here? This way of life is hard.” But I quickly realized, it wasn't a hard way of life at all, it just didn't have the modern conveniences I was use to. Living the simple way of life that Laura lives and not having all the modern conveniences was very attractive to me. I imagine it to be much less stressful than the busy life I lead. With that being said, I like my toilet, hair dryer and Target.  


It was important to Laura that we see her school. As we walked for 30 minutes on dirt roads, I was grateful it wasn't the rainy season. Touring Laura's school was interesting. She has spent many hours putting together her office. The walls are filled with her hand made posters. Even though someone used her office and created a mess, I felt quite proud standing in her office looking at all she has done. 


The children had exams that day, so even though the school was filled with kids, it was quiet. The classroom walls were made of mud, straw and then coated and painted. Some rooms had several desks, some had just a few, but all had chalkboards. One group of rooms stood out because they looked modern, like something in America. I learned those rooms were the special education rooms. A wonderful Canadian group called Christian Horizons had built the beautiful rooms.  


While in Asella, we were able to visit the Christian Horizons’ offices and tour a preschool and two orphanages. Most of children in the orphanages had lost parents to HIV/AIDS. The children proudly showed us their beds with smiles on their faces and were happy we had brought chocolate for them. I was impressed with the work that Christian Horizons does. They work hard at teaching the children life skills to become successful members of society and independent adults. 

Seriously, the work they do is incredible. If I have learned one thing while here, it is that there is a huge difference between aid and development. At Christian Horizons, they teach men and women of all ages the skills they need to be self sufficient later in life. This organization embodies the old proverb, “If you give a man a fish, you’ll feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will never go hungry”. If you are a charitable type, I’m not sure your money could go to a better place.


One part of this trip that I will always cherish was meeting the wonderful people who have become Laura's family. Her fellow volunteers, Joe, Lisa, and Leslie are creative, funny, intelligent, incredible people (expect for Leslie, she’s the worst). They have sustained Laura in good times and difficult moments and I fell in love with them. Laura's landlord, Faven, prepared a wonderful meal for us. After dinner we even enjoyed a dance party given by her two daughters and Laura (these shoulders don’t lie).

Faven preparing a coffee ceremony
The next night, Tilahun prepared an amazing feast for us that was so delicious, I over ate to the point of being uncomfortable (aka, what happens every time a PCV goes to Tilahun’s house). Abel and Tilahun are wonderful men who have become friends with Laura and kept a watchful eye over her while on this Peace Corps mission. I am forever grateful to these two gentlemen.

Tilahun preparing goodness
I can't write about everything we did. But, know that we played Ethiopian Bingo. Possibly caused a divorce while trying to buy two glasses we drank homemade honey wine from. Lived without water for two days. Attempted to visit the Peace Corps office, but were turned away because of a meeting (if you’re reading this senior staff…). Talked about our bowels and laughed until our stomachs hurt. 

There aren't words to say how proud I am of Laura. She has created a wonderful and rich life for herself in Ethiopia. Her home is filled with love and is referred to as, Chateau Schickling by fellow volunteers. Her Peace Corps friends enjoy her hospitality frequently. I don't know how I got so lucky to be Laura's mother. She is intelligent, self sufficient, funny, resilient, and so BRAVE. Travel to Belize? No way, I'll take Ethiopia.
She said too many nice things. In truth, I'm a doofus. Here I am giving a tutorial on how to use a shint bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment