Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hiking Lake Wenchi, Ambo, Ethiopia

Three Months after swearing-in, there is a training called IST (it cleverly stands for In-Service Training). My group's IST took place in Ambo. It is a big-ish town about 2 hours outside of Addis and 5 hours away from Asella. The trainings were good and it was great to see people I had not seen it months. The highlight (aside from Mexican food I consumed) was a 6-hour hike around Lake Wenchi. It is one of only two crater lakes in Africa!!! I don't know what that means, but it sounds really impressive. As you can see from the pictures, we all started off happy, excited and optimist. Six hours later, I would not quite describe ourselves that way. The last hour was straight uphill and after hours in the sun and being dehydrated, it was rough to say the least. Fortunately, my camera battery died before that, so there is no evidence of the misery. Overall, the hike took us through one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. If you like what you see, come visit!! (we can take a horse during the uphill parts)























No comments:

Post a Comment