Friday, June 1, 2012

Hello all!

The point of this blog is to keep family, friends and anyone else who cares updated on my happening in Ethiopia. I really have no idea how often I will write or what exactly the content shall be- I've never done this before! If you know anyone who may be interested, please pass it along! But check back periodically to see what I am up to. As I go, I'm sure I'll learn all sorts of cool futuristic things like how to upload pictures and videos.

For now, I think this monumental first entry, which I get to write at home on a comfy couch (or as it will be hence forth referred to as "back when I was naive and idealistic"), will consist of the questions I have been asked over and over.

Where are you going to be? What is the living situation like?
Part of the Peace Corps is not really knowing a whole lot going in, so here is what I know: I am going to Ethiopia. It is a country in the northeast of Africa. I fly into the capital city of Addis Ababa. From there I will be sent to another part of the country for training. Training is a ten week period where I will learn about the culture, language, safety etc. During this time, I will live with a host family who will help me transition to living in Ethiopia. After training, I will go to my long-term site where I will be for two years. I may live on my own or with a host family.

What will you be doing?
My assignment is English Teacher Trainer. So I will work with teachers to improve methods and share ideas of how to teach English to the students. I could be placed at a teacher college and work with new teachers, or I could be placed in a school and work with all the teachers there. Again, it is all a bit up in the air.

What is the food like?
It entirely depends where I end up in the country. Whatever is local, I shall eat. Most likely, this will include a lot of veggies and not too much meat. Their main staple is injera bread . It is a flatbread that is spongy.

How difficult was it to become a Peace Corps volunteer?
I started the process over a year ago. First, I had to fill out an application, get references,  and write personal statements (like many college applications). From there I had an interview where I was nominated for a teaching assignment in Central Asia. I had to get a full heath check up with visits to doctors, dentists, and Costco optical. There were tests to make sure I was in good enough heath and then a BUNCH of vaccinations. It was an interesting experience. I had to get a Yellow Fever vaccination and I'm still convinced the doctor at the clinic was drunk. Go American healthcare! Once that was done, I just got to wait for months. Eventually, I heard that I was no longer in consideration for the Central Asia position but they would find me a spot somewhere. About 6 weeks later and countless times checking the mailbox, I received that magical blue envelope with my assignment. In all, from the day I started the application to the day I leave, it will have taken 12 and a half months.

Why are you doing this?
To find the Ark of the Covenant, obviously.

I leave in two days so the next time you all hear from me, I'll be in Africa... That still feels crazy to write.

1 comment:

  1. How do you feel about the black sheep theory? I've been told its prevalent in Africa...

    ReplyDelete