Saturday, June 16, 2012


Tomorrow, I leave the capital city of Addis to go to my training site: Eteya. There I will live with a host family to try to fully integrate with the culture. I will eat, sleep, cook, bath, and speak (hopefully) like a true Ethiopian! I am excited to start the next leg of this journey. In a lot of ways, this is when the "Peace Corps experience" begins. It is commonly considered the hardest yet most memorable part of the 27 months. So on that note...

One of the most exciting parts of everyday is when they bring the mail in. It is like Christmas morning (if Christmas was filled with intense language training, four hour lectures and upset stomachs). So one way you you can help me feel the love over the next two years is to send me letters or care packages! Several people have asked about this so I thought I would put the information out there. If you would like to send me something, awesome. Sadly, it is really expensive. So I say this in all honesty, I know it is cheesy, even if you can just afford to send a letter, it means just as much as a huge care package. In this case, it is the thought that counts (not that I would be bummed out to get some rice krispy treats).

Below are the prices for flat rate mail, and a link to the USPS website where you can find out how big these boxes are. I’ve also listed my initial address and some helpful tips from current volunteers:

Package Rates:
· First-Class International (letter, standard envelope, 1 oz.): $1.05 (remember, label this one AIRMAIL, too!)
· Priority International:
o   Flat Rate Envelopes, Padded Flat Rate Envelope, Legal Flat Rate Envelope, and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes (Max. Wt. 4 lbs.): $16.95
o   Medium Flat Rate Boxes (Max. Wt. 20 lbs.): $47.95
o   Large Flat Rate Boxes (Max. Wt. 20 lbs.): $60.95

Link to pictures/dimensions/prices of flat rate boxes: https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

You’ll have to fill out a customs slip when you send a package, but never fear! The slip is available behind the desk at the post office, and while it looks like a packet, it’s actually only one mini page of information. It’s easy!

Tips from current PCVs:
  1. It’s best to be general in your descriptions, such as ‘food', 'personal hygiene items', 'housewares.'
  2. Never use packing peanuts or other useless filler. Be creative, and find little things to fill the box that will be useful, tasty, comforting, or fun!
  3. Remember to label the box very clearly: AIRMAIL. It also doesn’t hurt to write “Peace Corps Volunteer” on the outside, for some potential sympathy votes for quick processing.
  4.  Don’t send anything irreplaceable or of amazing quality. While most packages arrive successfully, the occasional one does go missing. Also, most items will have to be left in-country when I return.
Copy and paste is an awesome feature!


My first address (send things no later than July 15, and smaller/consumable is better, for now – such as letters!):

Laura Schickling/PCT
US Peace Corps/Ethiopia
P.O. Box 7788
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

I will find out my permanent address in about a month, and I will post that address shortly thereafter. 

Again, I cannot state this enough: a letter from home is a wonderful thing. Do not feel like if you are not sending some big care package, it is not worth sending anything. For $1.05 and a couple of minutes writing a note, you can completely make my day. 

1 comment:

  1. For the biggest advocate of post mail this generation has seen, it's appalling that I haven't sent you any letters yet. But, I'm glad this experience is making you a post-mail lover and I hope it means you'll continue writing real letters even after you leave Ethiopia!

    ReplyDelete