Monday, April 22, 2013

Awkward Family Photo?

On Sunday, my landlady and her husband had a celebration after her son was baptized. It is Orthodox tradition to baptize a baby boy when he is 40 days old and a baby girl when she is 80 days old. Until then, mother and baby are secluded to their bed. People come to visit, but mom and baby are bound to the house. Needless to say, my landlady was pretty happy. They were kind enough to not ask me to go to church at 6am. Instead, I was just invited to eat and drink when they got home at 10am (awesome). 

At a certain point, a photographer came to the house to take "professional" photos. It quickly became clear things were going to turn into "Get Your Picture Taken With a Forenji" so I retreated to my house after taking pictures with the people I actually knew. I also lent someone my camera to take pictures with. While loading the photos onto my computer, I came across this gem.

There is so much gold going on in this photo that I could not help by proudly post it. Let me break this down for you.

  • A photographer was posing people in the most bizarre ways all day. Besides this, my favorite was when one man used the pipe to do the "Captain Morgan" pose while another knelt down right beside him. He face was completely in the others crotch. No one laughed but me, oppps.  
  • After this, they told me to put my sunglasses on. They believed it made me look more American or something (I think it is because when you are this cool, the sun shines on you 24/7)
  • This is a woman who lives on my compound. She is not my favorite...
  • I am at least 4 inches taller than her
  • I'm pretty there is not a big age difference
  • This "special area" is normally reserved for washing clothes and dumping out dirty water
  • We are standing over where an old shint bet (hole in the ground for one-zies and two-zies) used to be. It has been long since concreted over but they need to ventilate the gas it produces. That pipe is to ventilate it. What I am trying to say is, it's a poop pipe
  • My face perfectly captures how I am felt in this moment
  • I literally volunteered for this

No comments:

Post a Comment