Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I mean, I wouldn't say no to a care package..

Little known fact: Christmas is about 8 weeks away. It often takes around that long for a care package to get to me. Using transitive property (just kidding, I don’t know geometry), if you send me a care package now, it will be a wonderful Christmas treat! While I always feel awkward begging for handouts on this blog, Peace Corps has taught me how to lose almost all of my shame. And as I assess my stockpile of care package goods, or lack there of, I get feeling pretty desperate. So if anyone is interested in sending me something, please continue to read. If you are not interested, come back soon for the content you desire most: pictures and stories of my ridiculously wonderful life!

Tier One- You could fill an entire box with just these things and I would want to kiss you straight on the lips. They are not the most exciting of items, but I cannot stress the importance of these basics:
  1. Canned Chicken- You can never put too much canned chicken in a box. I promise. It is the only meat I cook at my house and in a few months, a three-month fast will start where it is nearly impossible to find meat. The thought of going through that without canned chicken makes me scared.
  2. Canned chicken- I’m not kidding. If I somehow get too much, I can barter it with other volunteers. It is worth its weight in gold here.
  3. A letter, preferably handwritten. Think you have nothing interesting to say? I promise I will find it interesting. While things and stuff are good, nothing boosts my morale like a letter.
  4. Granola/Energy/Fruit/AnythingCondensedIntoABrick-LikeShape bars- I travel quite often here and food on the go like this has literally saved me from full on temper tantrums while on a bus. Also, after a workout, they are great!
  5. Parmesan cheese- Eggs and pasta and avocadoes, oh my!
  6. Bacon bits- I’ll take any type but I have found Hormel brand to be the best
  7. Mac & Cheese- Did you know that if you take the contents of the blue box and put it in a small ziplock bag, it takes up hardly any room.
  8. Cheez-its or Goldfish crackers- I like the original but I would love to mixed it up with whatever you send!

Tier Two- These are wonderful things to have but may not need to be in every box. If you send me anything of these things, I’ll want to give you a hug that lingers for just a second too long.
  1. Fruit snacks- kind of the same idea as granola bars, but makes the child in me happier. Any kind will be great. Costco has nice ones or I always love Batman, even in fruity form.
  2. Teddy Grahams- Any flavor but chocolate is my favorite.
  3. Sunflower seeds- Original or BBQ.
  4. Trail mix- Walmart and Target have a huge variety of different types. I have yet to have one I do not like. I tried some Cajun trail mix from Walmart and it blew my mind. If you can find that, I’d take it!
  5. Almonds- I once said I love almonds so much that I want to make a man almond and a lady almond fall in love so I can eat their little almond babies. If anything, this undersells my love for almonds.
  6. Elementary school brown bag lunch snacks- the cheese and cracker thing that comes with a red stick, cookies, chips, all and any of it!
  7. Cocoa mix- nothing like getting in a toasty bed and watching a movie while drinking cocoa: Hardcore Peace Corps!
  8. Instant meals or sides- For example, there are some nice rice or pasta sides that come in a package in the supermarket. All I have to do it add water.
  9. Baby wipes- all joking aside, I get filthy here. When I actually shower, I lose about 14 shades of tan.
  10. Hand Sanitizer- I eat with my hands. I pet every stray dog that does not look like it will bite me. You can do the math.

Tier Three- Stuff that will make the child in me happy. These are instant gratification type items. While they are the most exciting, the sensible adult in me knows I do not need too much of these items. If you send me any of these, I’ll want to give you an Ethiopia shoulder bump.
  1. Smarties- tasty, forced portion control, and is easy to share with local kids.
  2. It is like two days before Halloween. Dare I say, discounted Halloween candy you can buy on the cheap next week.
  3. Chocolate of any sort
  4. Starburst (fav reds are amazing)
  5. I have access to an oven now, so any delicious looking baked good mixes. I have eggs, oil, baking powder, and water. Please make sure I do not need to add anything more than these things.
  6. Stationary and school supplies- pens, markers, tape, etc.
  7. Any book you think I would like. Or a book you think is awful. Either way, I’ll finish it.

Stuff I literally dreamed about last night-I'm not kidding. I dreamed I was at a Best Buy of all places but they had rows and rows of snacks. I packed a ton of the following two things in a giant bag and planned to bring them back to Ethiopia with me. I don't even know what will happen if you send me these.
  1. Muddy buddy chex mix- This stuff is also called puppy chow by a lot of people who make it at home. It is chex mix with melted chocolate and peanut butter dusted in powdered sugar. It is amazing.
  2. Little Debbie treats- I specifically dreamed about the Swiss rolls, but I'll take whatever you feel like sending. 

Tips for mailing:
Sister Laura Schickling
PO BOX 986
Asella, Ethiopia
  • Mail it from USPS- Any independent company (Fedex, UPS, etc.) will cost you literally hundreds of dollar. You can pack your own box, or grab one of their flat rate boxes. With the flat rate, they do not price by weight (up to a certain amount, just don't send me weights I suppose), it is a set price. I believe it is around $60 for the medium (actually pretty darn big) and $90 for a large. The $60 is the best bet. 
  • Don’t Waste Space – One of the greatest frustrations I have heard expressed by seasoned PCVs is when there is unused space or unnecessary packing fluff, such as packing peanuts or bubble wrap. Pack the box wall-to-wall and nothing will move around. Remove excess/unnecessary packaging from materials and open packaging to release air; when possible on both accounts, of course.
  • Airmail! – Be sure to write “Air Mail / Par Avion” on anything you send, and see to it that the post office adds the official stamp indicating such elevated status.
  • Cover the Box in Religious (Christian) Symbols, References, Quotes, etc. – I know this sounds silly, but it really works
  • Use Red Ink on the Outside of the Package – Again, sounds silly, but it works.
  • Write “Educational Materials,” “Used Goods,” “Household Items,” etc. on Outside of Box – Writing things like this should help the package clear customs.
  • Minimize Value of Customs Declarations – Try to be as vague as possible and avoid declaring anything of real value on the customs slip. You may have to put up a bit of a fight at the post office, but it’s worth minimizing the chance of a package being pillaged en route.
  • Ziplock Liquids  - Liquids are technically not allowed/frowned upon, but usually tend to make it through. In either case, it’s a good idea to contain any and all liquids in a good, sturdy Ziplock bag. That way it won’t ruin everything else in the box, and all the other cute little care packages it will be traveling with, if it breaks.

Now, you may be thinking, what is in it for me? I like the callused way you think friend! I ask myself that very question when someone at my school asks me to do something that sounds horrible. I have been keeping a list of everyone who has sent me a package in the last one year, four months, and twenty-three days. All those beautiful people are getting something from Ethiopia in a little over nine months. There are pretty scarves, cool hats, and the best coffee in the world. Oh, you will be rewarded sweetly.

So once again, if you feel like sending something, you’re amazing. If money is tight, you can send a card or letter for $1.05 (follow the same guidelines as when shipping a box). If you don’t want to do that, thanks for just reading my blog and supporting me. I can see how many people access the site and on low days, it is just the ego boost I need!

No comments:

Post a Comment