Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fasika... 6 Months Late


I believe I've referenced Ethiopia’s greatest holiday about three times now. I keep saying I will post pictures and write something about it. But as I look at the calendar, I realize I am closer to 2014’s Fasika than 2013’s Fasika. As such, it just feels silly to write about it. But the pictures are awesome (which is why I keep referencing them). The solution I have come up with is to post a photo a day for a week or two highlighting the best parts of the holiday weekend. Everyone wins! I do not have to write something (and lets be honest, it was so long ago, half of it would have been lies) and you get to see photos. And lets be honest, you only look the pictures. I know it. 

The beginning of the weekend, I went with a couple of Ethiopian friends to buy our dinner. I'm pretty sure we ended up with a goat, but I cannot tell the difference between the goats and sheep here. Sheep have a wider tail, maybe. Anyways, this is the animal market of Asella the day before a 55-year day fast ended. Everyone was pretty much licking their lips. And while expectations rarely match reality here in Ethiopia, this is exactly what I wanted/expected an open-air animal market to be like. Pure, wonderful chaos. Or at least that is how it seemed to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment